Wednesday 3 April 2013

A very confused writer

Not really sure how many Tall Tales I'll be telling, at least not about myself. I will admit I have a habit of starting to write a story and getting a good ways through it before I abandon the idea entirely. This time around however is not the case, my current project has been in the works for quite a while and admittedly, has taken several wonky turns along the way.

It went from a story inspired by a young Canadian West Coast girl discovering her magical abilities and has now transformed into a story of ancient Celtic royal lineage. What? Not exactly the idea I'd started with certainly, but after; name changes, location changes, country changes, physical description changes, and even tense changes, I think I've finally settled on the story I'm trying to tell.

A little, or rather a lot of research into the old Irish folk lore and legends I grew up hearing as bedtime stories has inspired a fresh new, and I'm hoping creative, story of its own. Irish history and location has played a lot into my writing as well. I'm of Irish descent quite literally off the boat as they'd say My Dad a proud Dubliner and my Mother's father hailing from Belfast, so the stories, the history was in my blood it seemed only natural to take that turn.

My method has been somewhat unorthodox , or so I'm told, as I started with a beginning (as most good stories often do) and quickly jumped to write the end of the novel... now it's been a process of filling in the blanks, writing the journey, which in my opinion is the best part.

Confusion, I think that's a pretty standard for a new writer especially for someone as young as myself. I'm 22 and this is my first real shot at writing for anything other than just amusement or school work  aside from a brief two year stint as my high school Newspaper Features Editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment